I have, in fact, begun work on the bottom layer of my favorite undertaker, and I'd like to let you all in on my current progress. The pattern I used for the coat is actually for a civil war uniform.
Here's a picture of it. The pattern number is M4745, so if you ever have need of it, go get it! I'm very fond of it...even if it is a bit of a pain to make. I've had to modify the uniform a bit, but not so much that I'll get confused...so I'm confident!
So far I've purchased the material--I chose a very nice, medium weight, and super soft, black for the main material and a sleek dark gray for the lining--and have begun the long process of cutting all the pieces out and putting them together.
Because the pattern for the front is actually in two pieces--a section that goes to the waist and the panel that goes below it--it hasn't been too much trouble to lengthen. I used the basic length for the dark blue image above, and then lengthened it further by another six inches or so to optimize my chance of getting it just right.
I used the front of the second image, however, for the straight up-and-down buttons.
So its kinda a mix between the two...but the pattern is working very well with itself, so I'm not concerned. I've actually already pieced together a large section of it, and I'm infinitely pleased with how its coming out.
As you can see from this image--look at the back for either A or B, but B is the closest to what mine will look like--the back is actually pretty cool to look at. That shape helps it conform to my shape, which will give me a really nice figure when its all done. Its meant for a masculine form, however, so it won't actually accentuate more curves than it should.
Once I start working again today, I'll take some pictures of everything and post some. For now, however, just know that I've got the basic upper form done, and will be putting the sleeves on after I cut out the lining. I'll check to make sure its gonna fit before I continue though so...to the ACE Bandages!